Elevated Stand Location
- Place a stand adjacent to game trails or where game sign is abundant.
- Place a stand no higher than necessary.
- Never place a stand in a dead tree, in trees with large overhanging dead limbs, or on or near utility poles.
- Select only trees that are straight.
- Locate the stand downwind from the animals' expected route.
- Never place stands on fence lines or near another landowner's property.
Elevated Stands Near Transmission Lines
Hunters should take additional precautions when using elevated stands near transmission lines. They should follow the guidelines below for safe and proper stand placement.
- Place the stand on the out 5 feet of transmission rights of way.
- Ensure the stand is a minimum of 25 feet away from existing transmission structures.
The following structures are prohibited on rights of way and are subject to immediate removal or relocation.
- Any structure attached to a transmission tower or power poles
- Structures blocking access or located too close to facilities
- Structures underneath high-voltage lines