Most Incidents Are Preventable
Hunting is a safe outdoor activity. Each year hundreds of thousands of people hunt safely in Washington State. Unfortunately, each year there are also 10-15 shooting incidents which injure or sometimes kill fellow hunters. The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife reviews all hunting incidents in Washington State. Since 1957, we have learned one very important lesson: Almost all hunting incidents can be prevented!
- Treat every firearm as if it were loaded. Always point guns in a safe direction.
- Most firearm deaths happen at home! Be just as safe at home as you are in the field. Practice safety whenever you are around firearms!
- Never handle any firearm if you are unfamiliar with it!
- Always unload and open the action before handing a firearm to anyone!
- Accept a firearm from another person only if the action is open!