Additional Rules of Firearm Safety
Most firearm-related hunting incidents could be prevented if everybody followed the ten simple rules of firearm safety.
5. Never use a firearm unless you are familiar with how it works.
If you need an owner's manual for your firearm, write to the firearm manufacturer. Make sure you receive training and/or read the owner's manual before handling any new firearm. Do not handle a firearm without the owner's permission.
6. Be sure the barrel and action are clear of obstructions.
7. Never cross a fence, climb a tree, cross a stream, or jump a ditch with a loaded firearm.
8. Never point a firearm at anything you do not want to shoot. Never shoot at a flat, hard surface or water.
9. Unload firearms when they are not in use. Store firearms and ammunition separately.
10. Never use alcohol or drugs before or during shooting.