Releasing Non-Target Species
Release any non-target species quickly and without causing the animal harm. The steps listed below provide a general procedure to release non-target species. Talk with experienced trappers to learn the best procedures for different species.
- Use a catchpole to restrain the animal.
- Pin the animal's head to the ground to restrain it.
- Cover the head to calm the animal.
- Use a shield (plywood or similar material) as a protective barrier.
- Open the trap, and release the animal.
- Keep the barrier between you and the animal.