Rules of Survival
When trapping in unfamiliar territory, you may get lost. If you do, switch into survival mode.
- Many people trap alone. However, it is safer to use the buddy system.
- Always tell a friend or family member where you will be trapping and when you plan to return. Leave a map of your trapline. If your plans change, update your friend or family member.
- Carry a cell phone. But be aware that phones can go out of range or lose battery power just when you need them most.
- Take some food and water with you.
- Always carry a map and a compass. You also might want to carry a global positioning system (GPS) unit.
- Wear layered clothing and take extra clothing, preferably wool and polyester, with you.
- Know how to start a fire. Carry waterproof matches and fire starters. These items are critical if hypothermia or frostbite sets in.