Nocking an Arrow
A nocked arrow should be positioned about a quarter inch above the arrow rest on the bow handle. On most bows, a small brass band called a “nocking point” is crimped onto the bowstring to mark the correct position.
To nock the arrow:
- Grasp the arrow between the thumb and index finger of the right hand (if you’re a right-handed shooter).
- With your left hand, hold the bow parallel to the ground about waist high, string toward the body.
- Lay the arrow shaft on the bow’s arrow rest.
- Align the slot in the nock with the string, while making sure that the cock feather points up (while the bow is parallel to the ground).
- Pull the arrow back until the string snaps into the slot.