Patterning Your Shotgun
- Get several 40" square sheets of paper.
- Fire at these targets from 40 yards away using different sizes of shot on each sheet.
- Draw a 30" diameter circle around the densest part of the pattern on each sheet.
- Count the number of pellets in each shot size used.
- Divide the number of holes in the circle by the number of pellets used in that shotload. This is the percentage.
- The desired percentage depends on your choke: 60-70% for full; 55-60% for modified; 45% for cylinder; or 50% for skeet at 25 yards.