Official Montana Hunter Education Course
Welcome to the official online
hunter education course of Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks. Taking a hunting course will
allow you to comply with Montana
hunter education law.
You must have a hunting license to hunt any of Montana's game animals. To purchase a Montana hunting license, any person born after January 1, 1985 must show a certificate of completing a hunter education course issued by:
- any other state, or
- any Canadian province.
Hunter education is NOT required if you were born on or prior to January 1, 1985.
To complete your independent study course, read all the steps on the next page.
What You'll Learn
Take a Montana hunter education course and:
- Learn about hunter responsibility and ethics
- Discover how firearms work and learn about firearm safety
- Improve your wildlife identification, game care, survival
and first aid skills
- Develop firearm handling skills and hunting techniques
- Increase awareness about wildlife conservation and management
- For students passing the online test, receive your official Montana
Field Day Qualifier Certificate, which allows you to attend
a day of field activities required to complete the certification
Hunter education is not just for kids and not just for hunters.
The program is for all folks who enjoy the outdoors and have
an interest in conservation. The course can also be an excellent
refresher for veteran hunters.