Who Enforces the Law?
You may have already met a game warden. The job of the warden is to make sure hunters follow the laws and regulations. A warden may ask to see your license or ask questions about when and where you have hunted. He or she may also ask to inspect any animal you have killed. Cooperate—it’s the right thing to do, and it’s the law!
Know the Law and Obey It!
One of the qualities of a responsible hunter is that he or she knows and understands the laws that apply to his or her hunting situation. But it is not enough to know the law, you must also obey it!
Not knowing hunting laws is not an excuse for violating them. If you hunt, you must know the laws and respect them. Ignorance is not a defense!
Keep these guidelines in mind:
- Read and understand Montana’s hunting regulations every year.
- Always carry a copy of the hunting regulations in the field.
- Don’t rely on others to tell you what is legal and right.
- Make sure you have the correct licenses, permits, stamps, and tags before you go hunting.
- The fines for some violations are in the thousands of dollars. Plus, you may lose your hunting privileges for years or life.