An important part of hunting is getting yourself and your firearm to your hunting location safely. In almost all instances, this will mean transporting your firearm in a vehicle. NEVER carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle.
Follow these rules when transporting a firearm:
- Unload your firearm!
- Place it in a protective case separate from ammunition.
- Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction when putting it into or taking it out of the vehicle.
- Never pull the firearm toward you muzzle first!
- Secure the firearm so that it cannot move during travel.
- Position it so that the muzzle will not be pointing at anyone or any animal traveling in the vehicle.
- If you have to leave the vehicle, store the firearm and ammunition in a locked place.