Rifle Shooting Position—Kneeling
Because the shooting arm is free, this position leaves the shooting arm and elbow unsupported and as a result the position is not as steady as either the prone or sitting positions. But with practice, the shooter can maintain control and shoot accurately.
- Turn so you are approximately at a 45° angle to the target.
- If you are right-handed, lower your body so the right knee touches the ground and place your left foot forward to steady you.
- Sit comfortably on the heel or the side of the right foot.
- Place the left elbow near, but not on, the bony part of the left knee, as far under the rifle as you can.
- If you are a left-handed shooter, kneel on the left knee with the right foot forward and the right elbow on the bent knee.