Firearm Cleaning Basics
Clean your firearms after every use to keep them in top condition. Every hunter should own a kit with all the components needed for a thorough cleaning.
Work on a cleared table or bench. Always give firearm cleaning your full attention. Never clean a firearm while doing something else.
Follow these basic steps to clean your firearm.
- Point the muzzle in a safe direction, and make sure the gun is unloaded.
- Remove all ammunition from the cleaning bench.
- For the most thorough cleaning, field strip the firearm as directed in the firearm owner’s manual. Then clean each part separately.
- Follow the instructions in your cleaning kit. If possible, clean the barrel from the breech end using a cleaning rod with a brush or patch attached. Pass the brush or patch all the way through the barrel. Because the chamber diameter is greater than the bore, you may need a chamber brush and a larger patch.
- Use cleaning solvents in a well-ventilated area and only as directed.