Trip Preparation When Hunting With Boats
Hunters often use boats in difficult conditions, such as wind, cold, and snow. Special care must be exercised to ensure a safe trip.
- Leave a hunting plan with family or friends with details on the boating portion of your trip. It should include your planned route and when you plan to return.
- Be sure the boat is large enough to carry you and your gear safely.
- Load gear low in the boat, and distribute the weight evenly.
- Have each person on board wear a personal flotation device (life jacket).
- Have throwable personal flotation devices on board in case someone falls overboard.
- Stow required visual distress signals.
- Check an up-to-date weather forecast before heading out.
- Cancel your trip if wind and water conditions aren’t safe.