Even something as simple as loading or unloading a firearm can result in tragedy if it isn’t done properly. Here’s how to do it safely.
- Point the muzzle in a safe direction.
- Put the safety on if it is not already on.
- Keep your finger outside the trigger guard.
- Open the action.
- Remove the ammunition by first detaching the magazine. Eject cartridges or shells from a fixed magazine.
- Make sure the gun is empty by checking both the chamber and the magazine.
- Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.